Skip to main content

Lino

Figure 1
Figure 2


Figure 3

Figure 4

Figure 5

Figure 6


 

For this lino cut brief we were challenged to use something we had created this year during the semester as inspiration for the design. Due to the nature of lino and my very amatuer experience I decided to go with a simple design influenced by my self portrait, which was completed before the course began. From this I chose to focus on some off the small icons I used in the background, thus I then created the design that can be seen in figure 1. The reason for the two different colours was so that  i could easily distinguish which parts would be carved away and which wouldn't, simply so i would not get confused. After sketching the design onto the piece of lino i began carving into it which was simple due to the chosen design. If i had a more intricate design it would have been more difficult to carve. As i have had experience before with this printing technique the printing process was simple and i managed to create some successful prints. Figure 3 is my favourite of them all, as where the water was still on the lino it caused the ink to disolve thus creating a withered effect. I believe this adds texture to the piece to contrast with such a simple design. Given extra time I would have liked to experiment further with lino prints, increasing design complexity.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drypoint

Figure 1 Figure 2 Figure 3   The drypoint session was one of my favourite workshops which we have done this semester, I adore how the final prints turned out. The process was fairly simple which I did not expect at first, it was quite easy to etch into the acrylic plates. I loved the fact that no matter how lightly you may have scratched the surface that mark is still going to show up. I drew my design in fineliner before tracing it over the acrylic. The etching process felt very similar to using a fineliner or biro therefore I was comfortable drawing in this process. During the printing process we had the option to leave ink on the plate or to wipe it off, in the figures you can see that i left it on to create various tones of shadow. However, I do wish i did a print where i did wipe the ink off to see clearly all the marks I made. I will definitely consider using this process again in the future. I am really happy with how they all turned out.

Viewpoints

Figure 1 Figure 2 Figure 3 Figure 4 Figure 5 Figure 6 Figure 7 Figure 8 Figure 9   Similar to the very first task for this module, the challenge was too fast for my liking and I ended up with a scruffy unfinished piece, I took the task too literal and drew what was infront of me when i should have thought outside the box and potentially chose an area to study instead of the whole thing. However, we then moved onto figure 2 which allowed us to focus on the viewpoints to help get us out of the habit of drawing all we see. With these, I chose to keep the studies simple due to the time limit and thickness of the pen for such small boxes; because of this I do like the drawings (apart from the left handed one). Figure 3 I drew while we were having a break thanks to the structure snatching my attention, I was drawn to it and felt I had to draw this in some way. I wanted to try and make the creators vision come to life and my intention was to draw it almost as if it were real and not just ...

Life Drawing 2

Figure 1 This first sheet I am not happy with, as there feels to be a lack of experimentation with mark making techniques. Yet overall, I do believe there is nothing significant about these drawings. Figure 2 I believe this sheet to be better than the first as it shows the journey of the model getting up and rising.I also believe it is evident that I have explored some mark making techniques. I am proud of this one also in the way that at a first glace none of the proportions look massively awkward. Figure 3 I really like this piece, not only for the fact it is in ink but I had fun experimenting with the models outline and adding in minor details to the models silhouette. I believe it could be quite successful as a screenprint and would love to experiment with it in the future. Figure 4 This is my favourite out of the three ink drawings and the one I picked to go forward with to screen print. While making this I felt inspired by traditional Japanese mark making techniques and the e...